Peppers Manor House, Southern Highlands
Peppers Manor House was originally part of the estates of Dr Charles Throsby, a well-known pioneer of the area. Between 1810 and 1817, he built "Glenfield Farm" near Liverpool and "Throsby Park" at Moss Vale, now a restored heritage site in the care of the State Government. Governor Macquarie granted the Mount Broughton land to Dr Throsby as a reward for his public service in 1822. Upon Dr Throsby's death in 1828, the land was inherited by his nephew, Charles Throsby Jnr. His wife was Elizabeth Broughton, after whom Mount Broughton and the whole estate was named.
In 1878, Henry Edward Kater bought Mount Broughton, and built the first substantial single story house on the present site. Later modifications in about 1929 almost submerged that original house, but there is still significant evidence of it. The downstairs rooms and veranda at the front northeast corner, including the Music Room and the Games Room and Massage Room, are part of that original house, as are the detached servants quarters and Buttery near the new Garden Wing.
Sir Norman Kater inherited the property in 1924. He extensively modified and expanded the house in about 1926. He retained the basic structure of the northeast corner, created the splendid baronial Great Hall in the centre of the house, added the two- storey wing, and several bedrooms upstairs. Room "7" was the Housekeepers quarters, Room "10" the Nursery, and other rooms were children's bedrooms.
Much of the timber work and joinery throughout the house was taken from the original 1878 building, the magnificent cedar doors and jarrah flooring being of particular interest. The cocoa wood door fittings were imported especially from America in the 1890's.The grounds were a show place for exotic trees and shrubs and were opened regularly to the public until Sir Norman's death in 1965.
The property was sold to the Chittick brothers who, being only interested in the land, closed the house and the grounds, which quickly fell into disrepair. In 1970 Dr Lucas bought the house, by then on reduced acreage and used it for weekend entertaining for some time. After that the property passed through several hands before being opened as a small guesthouse in 1979.
In 1984 Geoff and Sue O'Reilly purchased the property and began an extensive restoration and renovation programme. Accommodation and conference facilities were expanded and are continuously being improved. Careful restoration and upgrading of Mount Broughton's gardens add additional charm and character to this old and majestic house.
In 1993 the estate became part of the Peppers Group and the charm that once was part of the Kater family home has been retained.
As our valued guests we welcome you to relax and savour the simple pleasures of country living that each of us at Peppers Manor House treasure so much.