Crisp Snapper & Snake Bean Salad Recipe
Ingredients - serves 4
- 500 gm snake beans, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 cup (firmly packed) each Thai basil and coriander
- 100 gm bean sprout
- 3 spring onions, cut into julienne
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- Vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
- 600 gm snapper fillet, skin on, cut into 3cm-wide pieces
- Cornflour (for dusting)
- Toasted sesame seeds and steamed jasmine rice (to serve)
Soy and ginger sauce
- 60 ml (¼ cup) soy sauce
- 50 ml kecap manis
- 1 tbsp black vinegar
- 5 gm (1cm piece) ginger, cut into julienne
- Splash of chilli oil, or to taste
- For soy and ginger sauce, whisk ingredients in a bowl to combine, set aside.
- Blanch snake beans until just tender (30 seconds-1 minute), refresh, drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add herbs, bean sprouts, spring onion and chilli, toss to combine and set aside.
- Preheat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 180C. Dust snapper in cornflour, shake off excess, and deep-fry in batches, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (3-4 minutes; be careful as hot oil will spit).
- Divide salad and snapper among plates, drizzle with soy and ginger sauce, scatter with toasted sesame seeds and serve with steamed jasmine rice.
Brought to you by Gourmet Traveller
This recipe is from the March 2012 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller. Recipe by Alice Storey, photography by Ben Dearnley, and styling by Geraldine Munoz & Alice Storey.