Brown Bread Crusted Scallops Recipe
- 30 scallops on the half shell
- ½ cup (loosely packed) each coriander and mint
- Baby herbs, cress and lemon wedges (to serve)
- 150 gm mild flat pancetta, cut into lardons
Brown bread butter
- 250 gm softened butter
- 80 gm fresh fine brown or rye breadcrumbs
- ½ cup loosely packed, finely chopped mixed herbs (flat-leaf parsley, basil, thyme and dill)
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon and juice of ½
- For brown bread butter, beat butter in an electric mixer until light and fluffy (1-2 minutes). Add remaining ingredients and beat to just combine. Spoon butter along the length of a 30cm-long piece of plastic wrap, roll to form a long sausage, then pinch ends and roll to form a tight cylinder. Refrigerate until firm or until required (2-3 hours; brown bread butter will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week).
- Preheat grill to high heat. Place half the scallops on a tray lined with foil. Slice half the butter into rounds, place on top of scallops, then top with pancetta and grill until scallops are cooked through and pancetta is crisp (3-5 minutes). Repeat with remaining scallops, butter and pancetta. Scatter with herbs and cress and serve warm with lemon wedges and bread.
Note: You can prepare the butter ahead of time and have it on hand for when unexpected guests pop in. It works equally well on grilled fish.
Brought to you by Gourmet Traveller
This recipe is from the December 2011 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller. Recipe by Emma Knowles & Alice Storey, photography by William Meppem, and styling by Emma Knowles, Alice Storey & Vanessa Austin.