With such breathtaking landscapes, unique destinations and roads that are enjoyable to drive, the South Island of New Zealand is the ideal place to embark on a driving holiday. Follow our 3 day drive tour guide, or extend your escape with a few extra nights in each destination to make the most of unique experiences in this diverse and picturesque pocket of the world.
Day 1: Christchurch
1. Arrive in Christchurch and after checking in, make your way to Re:Start mall, an innovative and diverse shopping experience full of boutique retailers and cosy cafes located in surprisingly beautiful bright shipping containers.
2. Following a (hopefully) successful shopping trip, embrace English romance, with punting on the Avon. Relax as you are guided through willow trees, along the woodlands and leafy banks.
3. As it turns to evening head to Victoria Street to indulge in an array of culinary wonders, bars and entertainment.
Stay overnight at Peppers Clearwater Resort.
Day 2: Christchurch to Lake Tekapo
1. Heading south towards Geraldine, experience a scenic drive through a rich agricultural area including the Mt Hutt, Methven and Mt Somers regions. Activities are endless on the way, with skiing and snowboarding, skydiving, hiking and country golf.
2. In Geraldine, you’ll discover an array of gourmet treats at every corner. Visit Barker’s of Geraldine for gourmet jams and chutneys or head to Coco for delicious handmade chocolates.
3. Your next stop is Fairlie, the gateway to the Mackenzie Country. Here enjoy a picnic or coffee under a huge oak tree. Take a stroll through this pretty farming town, before commencing your last hour’s drive to Lake Tekapo.
Stay overnight at Peppers Bluewater Resort.
Day 3: Lake Tekapo, Aorakai Mt Cook and Queenstown
1. Wake up early and hit the road to Aoraki Mt Cook, where you’ll come across some of the world’s most spectacular views. Visit the world’s highest salmon farm for smoked salmon and immerse yourself in the local scenery on an hour long bush walk.
2. Continue on to the stunning alpine village of Twizel for lunch and a stroll before reaching Cromwell. Known for its superb wines, enjoy the afternoon sampling the region’s famous Pinot Noir.
3. Arrive at your final destination of Queenstown, relax and ready yourself for a few days of action, unique activities and delectable wining and dining in the eclectic array of restaurants, bars and cafes.
Stay at Peppers Beacon.