Ingredients - serves 5
- 200 gm small dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water, drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 10 slices thick soft light rye bread
- 1 beetroot (about 500gm), cut into julienne on a mandolin
- 2 small radicchio, thinly sliced
- 1 small telegraph cucumber, seeds removed, cut into julienne on a mandolin
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 4 radishes, cut into julienne
- 1 cup (loosely packed) each flat-leaf parsley and mint, coarsely torn
- 3 carrots, cut into julienne on a mandolin
- 60 ml (¼ cup) white wine vinegar
- 1 small red chilli, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1½ tbsp caster sugar
- 60 gm (¼ cup) unhulled tahini
- 60 gm (¼ cup) good-quality mayonnaise
- 60 gm (¼ cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
- For pickled carrot, combine ingredients and 1½ tsp sea salt flakes in a bowl with 2 tbsp cold water and stir to combine. Set aside until carrot starts to soften and pickle (20 minutes), stir again, then refrigerate until required (best used within 2 days). Drain well before serving.
- Combine chickpeas in a large saucepan with plenty of cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat and cook until tender (20-30 minutes), then drain.
- Combine lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and warm chickpeas in a bowl, season to taste, stir to combine, then set aside to cool completely.
- For tahini-yoghurt dressing, stir ingredients in a bowl to combine, season to taste.
- Spread tahini-yoghurt dressing over one side of bread slices. Top half the slices with radicchio, then pickled carrot, then chickpea mixture, then beetroot, cucumber, tomato, onion, radish and herbs, season to taste, sandwich with remaining bread slices and serve.
Note: We've combined pickles, chickpeas and lots of fresh ingredients for the best salad sandwich ever. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.