Lentil, mint & broad bean salad
Lentil, mint and broad bean salad
Prep time 30 mins, cook 35 mins
Serves 4 (pictured p522).
- 250 gm small green lentils
- 150 gm hazelnuts
- 400 gm podded broad beans (about 700gm unpadded)
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed
- 1 cup each (loosely packed) mint and flat-leaf parsley, coarsely torn
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- ½ radicchio, coarsely torn
- 60 ml ( ¼ cup) each hazelnut oil and olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ clove garlic, crushed
Cook lentils in a saucepan of boiling salted water until tender (25-30 minutes). Drain well and place in a large bowl.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Scatter hazelnuts on an oven tray and roast, shaking occasionally, until browned (6-8 minutes). Set aside to cool slightly, then rub with a tea towel to remove skins, coarsely chop and add to lentils.
For hazelnut dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and pour onto warm lentils.
Blanch broad beans and asparagus in separate saucepans until bright green (1 minute), drain, refresh and drain again. Peel broad beans into lentils. Halve asparagus and add to lentils. Add remaining ingredients, season to taste, toss to combine and serve warm or at room temperature.