- 40 gm pistachios
- 220 gm softened butter
- 375 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- Finely grated rind of 2 oranges
- 60 ml (¼ cup) orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- 30 ml Grand Marnier
- 1 egg yolk
- 330 gm plain flour
- 40 gm candied orange, diced
- Preheat oven to 180C. Spread pistachios on a baking tray and roast until just golden (4-5 minutes), cool then coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Beat butter, 75gm icing sugar and half the rind in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally (6-8 minutes). Combine orange juice and Grand Marnier in a measuring jug and set aside.
- Scrape down sides of bowl again, add egg yolk and beat until combined (2-3 minutes), then mix in half the orange juice mixture.
- Add flour, candied orange, pistachios and a pinch of salt, beat until mixture just comes together, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a flat disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest (1 hour).
- Roll out shortbread on a lightly floured surface to 1cm thick and cut out 6.5cm-diameter rounds. Place on baking trays lined with baking paper and bake, swapping trays halfway through cooking, until pale golden on the edges (15-20 minutes). Cool on trays for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with remaining orange juice mixture. Combine remaining icing sugar and orange rind in a bowl, then shake through a coarse sieve over shortbread to dust heavily.