Winter Vegetable Salad Recipe
- 500g Meredeth chevre log
- 1 bunch of purple baby carrots
- 1 bunch of baby carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 2 large beetroot
- 2 bunch baby beetroot with leaves
- 10 Jerusalem artichokes
- 1 bunch watercress
- Snow pea shoots for garnish
- 100ml Nicholson+saville limestone coast chardonnay vinegar
- 300ml extra virgin olive oil
- Beetroot Gel
- 200g beetroot cooking liquid
- 100g sugar
- 50g red wine vinegar
- 4g agar agar powder
- Pinch of salt
- Wash the baby beetroots and keep the small leaves for the salad.
- Cook the baby beetroots in water until tender. Keep the cooking liquid for the beetroot gel.
- Peel of the skin of the baby beetroot and marinate in the vinaigrette.
- Peel the carrots and keep a few carrots back for shavings.
- Cook the rest of the carrots cook in olive oil with a little bit of water until tender and all liquid is gone. Season with salt and pepper and marinate with the vinaigrette.
- Peel the parsnip and remove the core and cut into small cubes. Cook in olive oil and water until tender and all liquid is gone.
- Slice the large beetroot on the mandolin very finely and cut out round shapes with a small cutter.
- Dress the raw vegetables with a little bit of vinaigrette before serving.
- Wash the beetroot leaves and watercress and snow peas shoots.
- Bring the beetroot cooking liquid to the boil with the red wine vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Stir in the Agar Agar and boil through.
- Let the liquid cool down until set, then puree the mixture in a blender into a smooth gel.
- Peel the Jerusalem artichokes and slice them finely on the mandolin and deep fry them golden brown on 140 degrees Celsius.
- Shape the goats cheese into small logs and roll into the Sumac.
- Build up the salad with the raw and cooked vegetables, the salad leaves, artichoke chips and goats cheese, a few dots of beetroot gel and finish with some of the vinaigrette.
Brought to you by Peppers Manor House
Courtesy of Twan Wyers, Executive Chef at Katers Restaurant, Peppers Manor House. Learn about Katers Restaurant.